House Fire in Mount Vernon
MOUNT VERNON-- A large explosion shook the Westhill neighborhood near Mount Vernon High School this morning, shortly after 6am.
Mount Vernon Fire Department arrived at 908 East Fulton Street shortly after the explosion to discover a residential structure fully engulfed in a raging fire that was reportedly being fueled by a leaking natural gas line.
Two residents who were reportedly inside the home at the time of the explosion were able to escape before the fire spread to the rest of the structure. One of those two residents was taken to the hospital for treatment. The other was not in need of immediate medical attention.
Two neighboring structures were saved by firefighters from severe damage. Cascade Natural Gas was heading to the incident at the time this was written, to shut off the gas line leading to the structure.
Mount Vernon High School is closed today, Monday November 25th.